CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 10, 2008

What you don't know CAN hurt you

So, Saturday we had our last competition of the year. I was already in kind of a pitiful mood because of a ginormous fight i got in the previous evening. Someone was jealous because i'm closer with my best friend than i am with them. go figure. Anyway, so we're on the bus and i realize we're going down charleston, right? Well I also realize that we're heading northeast-ish. We're getting closer and closer to my least favorite part of town. Mr. Baker keeps asking me if I feel ok and if I'm sick because i guess i'm turning a pale greenish color. I thought I would barf from anxiety and a nervous stomach. We get closer and closer to Sunrise mountain. Finally i ask baker where exactly we're going. He says Las Vegas High School and my stomach hits the floor and my heart jumps into my throat. I can't believe i didn't realize we would be going there. It makes sense, but i was in no way prepared for the shock. I almost cried right then and there in front of baker. He didn't exactly help by asking all these questions like, "oh is that sunrise mountain... I've never been this far east." I tried to keep my eyes averted so i wouldn't see the mountain, but as soon as we pulled in the parking lot, i knew visual contact would be inevitable. You can see the mountain from everywhere on that school's campus. I could see it in the parking lot. They took us to our warm up. I was hopeful that we would be positioned right next to the school so the building would block it and i could concentrate. But of course, we were in an open field that gave a great full on view of the mountain. I thought i would die right there. Then when they escorted us to the field i knew i could not have a good performance, for you see, the mountain was clearly visible from the field. It was in my line of sight as i conducted. I honestly thought i would have to leave the field in the middle of the performance. I couldn't take it anymore. I thought i would barf or faint or burst into tears. It was horrible. Then we got in the stands and all i wanted to do was be alone and cry but no one would leave me alone. I didn't even watch the bands because to look at them would be to look at that horrible mountain. Then i had to go accept the awards on the field. It took all my effort to stay composed. We got a superior and second place, which would normally make me jump up and down, but it didn't help at all. As we were walking back from awards, chris passed the plume and I almost cried again. He took it off, shook my hand, and gave me a hug. Then he saluted me and called me senior drum major and said, "I'm done." It was a really sad day for me. I wish i could've been alone to cry it out, but that would have been merciful and life is ruthless.

0 comments: