CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Brave New World Revisited

So, this is me revisiting BNW, not huxley. Okay, here we go. I finished BNW yesterday, and I'm still trying to process it. Ok. Here's what I know: Yes, this is more of a social commentary than a satire, but it is still a satire; Bernard is a self-conscious, non-confident coward of men; Lenina comes to realize (to some extent) the real world; Helmholtz knew all along, he just didn't know what he knew; John is more civilized than savage; Mr. Savage reaches peace and ultimate happiness through suicide; Savage creates a "compass" for the world at the end; Huxley says that the modernization and civilization of men actually leads to the dehumanization, decline, and digression of mankind; there are two levels of happiness: the superfluous unreal happiness that comes through pleasure and satisfaction and the true happiness that comes through love and triumph over pain; Linda was an idiot, specifically, her conditioning was so thorough that she didn't realize the happiness that was right in front of her the whole time; the more intelligent/ higher intellectual social class we are, the more we question the world, thus finding God and religion; the civilians often mix up Ford and Freud, replacing godliness with mechanism and sexuality; each character's name is symbolic or significant, Bernard Marx especially: Bernard could be several options, all of which represent freedom of thought and mind and spirit, also inquisition, etc. Marx because he's unwilling to give up the socialistic "community" just as Karl Marx so vehemently enforced. I understand the details, but I'm quite sure I'm missing something. Oh, I forgot: dissillusionment. Now on to their eyes were watching God.

0 comments: